We have a little backyard, a little bigger than the one we had in Indiana with a dead patchy area. Grass once was here when we bought the home, but then died during the summer heat. Luckily come the Fall you can plant "winter" grass again that is nice and soft. So, I seeded the area and laid down the soil a couple of weeks ago. With water and sun it has started to grow.
However, it is a little patchy in areas. So, I have recently reseeded in the areas that need it and we will see what happens. The problems is every morning when we wake up there are a bunch of birds nibbling at the seeds and now grass. Also I have seen a bunny or two hop in for a munch of the greens. We of course scare them away, but they always come back. (See the open view through the gate in the back? There is not a house right up to it, however there is a wash area of desert land. Also to the left of the above picture, not viewed, is the built in spa we hope to have up and running soon.Maybe not all that exciting to the reader/viewer, but it is to us.

7 comments:
We planted grass last year and it came up looking the same way... patchy in parts. But, in the end it filled itself in pretty well. So I wouldn't stress about it. The birds and squirrels ate ours too! I think you should put a scarecrow up!
Thanks for the advice!
Or maybe get a cat, that might help scare them away. ;) Whatever happened to your house in Indiana?
I heard once if you dont want a scarecrow you can use a owl. But of course that might only work if there are actual owls in Arizona. Great job with the lawn..
I remember when we put our back lawn in and how excited we were to see grass coming in. It is almost like a dream now thinking back to no lawn. And, yet other times we felt like it would never come to completion.
Well, I don't have many tips- except that we read that laying some peat moss down on top helps it retain moisture better. Looks like you must be doing it right -cause you have grass! Yeah!
good work jenni!
Hooray for grass in Phoenix! :)I'm sure the weather is really beautiful now!
Post a Comment